Move over, supermarket — the Kirana store is making a comeback!
GoNative recently added a new section to its store, earning more love from the sustainability and waste-conscious community. GoNative Unpackaged is a plastic-free bulk food store from where you can buy high quality organic grains, pulses, spices, cold-pressed oils and more.
Think of us as your local organic food store — just a little different
Most supermarkets and organic food stores retail pre-packaged food products in single use plastic covers. These plastic covers are useless once you bring the products home and empty the contents into your containers. You throw them out and they make their way to the local landfills, where they sit for all eternity because they are non-biodegradable.
At GoNative Unpackaged, we cut loose the ‘middleman’. You can bring your containers, fill them up with as much fresh organic food as you need and take them back.
Shopping at GN Unpackaged is a whole new experience
- You can finally buy only as much as you need. If you need only 3kgs of wheat for the month instead of the standard 5kg sized bags, you can purchase only 3kgs and come back for a refill. You no longer have to worry about proper storage techniques to avoid worms and insects infestation. You can eat fresh every time.
- Buying at plastic-free store can be confusing at first. But it’s very easy to get a hang of. If you don’t wish to carry heavy stainless steel or plastic containers to the store, you can purchase reusable cloth bags online or at the store. It is an investment worth making if you plan to switch to the less-waste lifestyle.
- You get to shop for more nutritious foods. As these foods come to you directly from farmers, they do not undergo excessive processing that strip down the nutritional value of the foods. You will finally experience the joy and benefits of eating wholesome meals.
- You will encounter alternative ingredients that can add nutritional value to your meals. For instance, our store stocks up on black rice, rajamudi rice, red samba rice as well as white rice. Not something you’d come across in your neighbourhood supermarket. If you’re switching to a healthier diet, it’s more likely you will find what you’re looking for at GN Unpackaged.
What can I get here? Everything you will need in your kitchen — and more
At GN Unpackaged, you can pick up pulses, rice, millet, broken grains, sweeteners, cold-pressed oils, spices, fruits and vegetables. You can also pick up almonds, cashews, healthy munchies and sweets for those mid-noon cravings.
- What if I forgot to bring my own containers and bags or I ran out of them?
You can buy reusable bags, glass jars (for the oils) or brown paper bags at the Unpackaged counter in the store
- Will I have to bring light-weight containers so that the weight of the container won’t get added to the bill?
You don’t have to worry about that. Before you make a purchase, someone from the team will weigh the empty container and this number will be subtracted from the total weight of the purchase. However, we do suggest you bring containers that you can carry back with ease.
- What if you don’t have what I’m looking for?
We stock up on all seasonal produce. If it’s grown in that season, we’ll have it in the store. But if you still can’t find what you’re looking for, you can drop a line to us, and we’ll try our best to source it for you.
- How do I know it’s organic?
Before we start sourcing from the farmers, we make doubly sure that the produce was grown organically and responsibly. We visit their farms and authenticate their certificate (wherever possible).
- Are the food products expensive?
Not at all. They cost the same — if not less —as the packaged goods you pick up from your local organic store. We also practice fair trade, so most of what you pay for the products go directly to the farmers.
Got more questions? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.